Girvan Folk Festival 2018 – 4th – 6th May
GUESTS INCLUDE: The Tannahill Weavers; Len Graham & Jack Lynch; Rita Gallagher; Lori Watson Trio; George Duff, Kevin MacLeod, John Martin, Leo McCann; Nick Dow; Eddie Seaman & Luc McNally; Maggie MacInnes Trio; Margaret Bennett; Susan McClure; Aileen Carr; Haggerdash; Fàilte; The Barrstools; Suitcase Circus; Irma Helou; The Tattiehowkers Ceilidh Band.
Some of Girvan’s strengths.
- It is a family festival.
- Its constitution and defined focus.
- Although it has a core committee, it was ‘owned’ by a larger group of people.
- It seeks out new performers.
- It books ‘special people’ – not necessarily stars, but people with an X factor.
- Its links with Ireland and England.
- It isn’t a ‘manufactured’ festival, it grew from established folk clubs and is organised by folk enthusiasts.
- It remains small and acoustic,
- It is on a Bank Holiday and runs for a full weekend.