Girvan Folk Festival 2019 : 3rd – 5th May
The content on this website mostly relates to our 2018 Festival. Planning for our 2019 festival, which will take place between 3rd and 5th May 2019, is currently in progress. Meantime could you take the information on this site as indicative of what will happen next year, with appropriate changes of guests. Many people attend Girvan year on year, confident that it will be a great weekend. We hope that you might start making your own arrangements to attend early. Meantime please register for email news updates to this site to help us to keep in touch with any developments.
2018 GUESTS INCLUDED: The Tannahill Weavers; Adam McNaughtan;Len Graham & Jack Lynch; Rita Gallagher; Lori Watson Trio; George Duff, Kevin MacLeod, John Martin, Leo McCann; Nick Dow; Eddie Seaman & Luc McNally; Maggie MacInnes Trio; Margaret Bennett; Susan McClure; Aileen Carr; Haggerdash; Fàilte; The Barrstools; Suitcase Circus; Irma Helou; The Tattiehowkers Ceilidh Band.
Some of Girvan’s strengths.
- It is a family festival.
- Its constitution and defined focus.
- Although it has a core committee, it was ‘owned’ by a larger group of people.
- It seeks out new performers.
- It books ‘special people’ – not necessarily stars, but people with an X factor.
- Its links with Ireland and England.
- It isn’t a ‘manufactured’ festival, it grew from established folk clubs and is organised by folk enthusiasts.
- It remains small and acoustic,
- It is on a Bank Holiday and runs for a full weekend.